A practiced editor gives advice to have your projects posted in a worldwide log
By Angel Borja, PhD Posted on 24 June 2014 Updated on 10 July 2019
Editor’s note: This 2014 post conveys the advice of the researcher sharing his experience and will not express Elsevier’s policy. Nevertheless, in reaction to your feedback, we worked with him to upgrade this post therefore it reflects our methods. For instance, because it ended up being posted, we now have worked extensively with scientists to increase exposure of non-English language research. – July 10, 2019
Change: as a result to your feedback, we now have reinstated the initial text it was revised so you can see how. – July 11, 2019
Simple tips to prepare a manuscript for international journals — Part 2
In this month-to-month series, Dr. Angel Borja attracts on their substantial back ground as a writer, reviewer and editor to offer suggestions about planning the manuscript (author’s view), the assessment procedure (reviewer’s view) and exactly just what there is certainly to hate or love in a paper (editor’s view).
This short article may be the 2nd into the show. The article that is first: «Six activities to do before composing your manuscript.»divider
Dr. Angel Borja is Head of Projects at AZTI-Tecnalia, an extensive research center within the Basque nation in Spain focusing on marine research and meals technologies. Previously he had been also Head regarding the Department of Oceanography and Head associated with the Marine Management region. Their primary subject of research is marine ecology, and it has posted a lot more than 270 efforts, from where 150 come in over 40 peer-reviewed journals, through their long job of 32 many years of research. During this time period he’s got examined in numerous topics and ecosystem elements, having a sufficient and view that is multidisciplinary of research.
Read more about their work on ResearchGate, ORCID and LinkedIn, and follow him on Twitter (@AngelBorjaYerro).
You checklist when you organize your manuscript, the first thing to consider is that the order of sections will be very different than the order of items on.
A write-up starts because of the Title, Abstract and keyword phrases.
This article text follows the IMRAD format, which responds towards the relevant questions below:
- Introduction: What did you/others do? Why did you will do it?
- Practices: just exactly exactly How did it is done by you?
- Outcomes: just exactly What do you see?
- Discussion: So what does it all mean?
The text that is main followed closely by the final outcome, Acknowledgements, References and Supporting Materials.
Although this is the published framework, nonetheless, we frequently work with a order that is different writing.
Procedures to organizing your manuscript
- Prepare the numbers and tables.
- Write the strategy.
- Jot down the outcome.
- Write the Discussion. Finalize the outcomes and Discussion before composing the introduction. The reason being, in the event that conversation is insufficient, how could you objectively indicate the significance that is scientific of work with the introduction?
- Write a definite summary.
- Compose an introduction that is compelling.
- Write the Abstract.
- Write a descriptive and concise Title.
- Choose Keyword Phrases for indexing.
- Write the Acknowledgements.
- Jot down the Sources.
Then, I’ll review each step of the process in detail. But you should do that will set the groundwork for the entire process before you set out to write a paper, there are two important things.
- The subject become examined ought to be the issue that is first be resolved. Determine your theory and goals (These is certainly going when you look at the Introduction.)
- Review the literary works associated with the subject and choose some documents (about 30) that may be cited in your paper (These will likely to be placed in the sources.)
Finally, take into account that each publisher features its own design directions and preferences, therefore consult the publisher always’s Guide for Authors.divider
Step one: Prepare the numbers and tables
Understand that «a figure may be worth a thousand terms.» Ergo, pictures, including numbers and tables, will be psychology research topics the many way that is efficient provide your results. Important computer data will be the driving force for the paper, which means that your pictures are critical!
How can you determine between presenting your computer data as tables or numbers? Generally, tables provide the actual experimental outcomes, while figures tend to be utilized for evaluations of experimental outcomes with those of past works, or with calculated/theoretical values (Figure 1).
Whatever your decision is, no pictures should replicate the given information described somewhere else when you look at the manuscript.
Another essential aspect: figure and dining dining table legends must certanly be self-explanatory (Figure 2).
Whenever presenting your tables and numbers, appearances count! For this end:
- Avoid crowded plots (Figure 3), only using 3 or 4 information sets per figure; usage scales that are well-selected.
- Think about appropriate axis label size
- Add symbols that are clear information sets which are very easy to differentiate.
- Never ever consist of long bland tables ( e.g., chemical compositions of emulsion systems or listings of types and abundances). You can add them as additional product.
Each must have a scale marker, or scale bar, of professional quality in one corner if you are using photographs.
In photographs and numbers, utilize color only if necessary whenever publishing to a printing book. If various line designs can simplify this is, never utilize colors or other thrilling effects or you’ll be faced with high priced charges. Needless to say, this doesn’t apply to online journals. For most journals, it is possible to submit duplicate numbers: one in color for the version that is online of log and pdfs, and another in black colored and white for the hardcopy journal (Figure 4).
Another problem that is common the abuse of lines and histograms. Lines joining information only can be utilized whenever presenting time show or consecutive examples information ( e.g., in a transect from coast to offshore in Figure 5). Nonetheless, if you find no connection between samples or there isn’t a gradient, you have to make use of histograms (Figure 5).
Often, fonts are way too tiny when it comes to log. You need to just just take this under consideration, or they might be illegible to visitors (Figure 6).
Finally, you need to look closely at the utilization of decimals, lines, etc. (Figure 7)
Action 2: Compose the techniques
This section reacts to your concern of how a issue had been studied. In case the paper is proposing a brand new technique, you’ll want to add detailed information so a qualified audience can replicate the test.
Nevertheless, usually do not duplicate the important points of founded techniques; usage recommendations and Supporting Materials to suggest the formerly posted procedures. Broad summaries or references that are key adequate.